Oxygen MagazineD's Editor-in-Chief Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cabin Fever

Winter weekends can be the perfect excuse to curl up on the couch with a good book or DVD and wait for the bitter cold or snow to pass. This is exactly what I did on Saturday. I woke up with the intentions of running a bunch of errands but before I even had a chance to hop in the shower, we were hit with some snow and instantly the roads were covered and pretty slick. Luckily I didn't have plans until 5pm, so my errands weren't anything that couldn't wait a few days. Instead I did some housework, enjoyed my book (btw, The Distant Hours by Kate Morton is fantastic!) and a nice lunch.
Fast forward to Sunday morning. The sun is shining and I'll be darned if I'm going to stay inside all day. After about an hour of kicking around ideas of how to spend the day, my boyfriend and I decide on a hike—something we love to do in the fall, but we're not going to let a little bit of snow stop us. We bundle up, plug the address into the GPS and are on our way. During the hike we check out a bird sanctuary and the grand finale was a wagon ride through the maple trees. In the next few weeks they'll be tapping the trees for maple syrup. I felt like I was a 10-year-old girl on a field trip.
It turned out to be the perfect day. Needless to say I went home and had a good nap. All that fresh air and exercise tired me out. But what a day.
Here's a shot of me out on the dock at Mountsberg. In the summer we'll be able to go canoeing on this lake.
(photo by Vince Rinella)

No comments:

Post a Comment