Oxygen MagazineD's Editor-in-Chief Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Capabilities

I love when I get to witness someone's strength. Take yesterday for example. I was in the company gym and couldn't help but notice a couple of guys doing hanging dips. I can do dips on a bench with my feet supported no problem, but hanging dips are another story. But get this, not only were they successfully banging out reps using their own body weight, but they also had a 25-pound plate roped around their waist. Good work fellas!
Then there are those accomplishments that are physical feats of strength that happen outside the gym, as part of our daily lives. An example? I thought you'd never ask!
Last week my sister and I had gone to Ikea to buy a dresser. As we all know Ikea is super affordable, but that's where the convenience ends. We managed to get the dresser into her truck and in the front door, but it was so heavy we didn't think we had any chance of getting it up the stairs with just the two of us. We temporarily thought about leaving it in the foyer for a few days until one of the men in our lives were available to help us out. But then common sense kicked in. We're two strong, capable women. There was no reason we couldn't do it. We just needed some stable footing, a tight grip and determination. Well needless to say, once we had our strategy in order, it took about two minutes to accomplish the task.
Fast forward to the weekend, my sister put that whole dresser together all by herself. I couldn't have done it, and didn't even offer to help. After a disaster with a computer desk last year, I have vowed to never put together another piece of furniture. Good work Linds!

No comments:

Post a Comment